Saturday, February 27, 2010

From the depths of despair

So, I know you've all heard by now that Grandma McCartie passed away this week. As I sit here the night before the service, I have so much on my mind, I thought I'd share some of it.

- My mother is quite possibly the most amazing woman in the world. I did something very difficult this week, and she was right there by my side, helping me through every second. I hope that someday I can be half the mother that she is!

- My husband is in constant pain from his back, but I have never seen him in this kind of pain, and I hope I never have to see it again.

- When you wait a week for a phone call to say someone has passed, it's still not any easier when the call comes.

- It is so surreal to go about daily business, now. It's like normal, and yet everything has changed.

- I will be by my husband's side every moment I am able, to help him through this time. It appalls me that a husband would even consider not being there for a MIL's service to support his wife, it seems selfish.

- On that note, I know that everyone deals with grief differently, but I can't help but think it poor form to pretend nothing happened. If you're not taking it badly, at least let up on those that may be struggling. People deal with death in different ways, especially younger people.

- More positively, it warms my heart to see a family that's not super close come together in a time of loss. G'ma was no doubt the glue, but these three grandkids have really stuck together to be there for each other and their mom. It's nice to see.

- It's nice to know that my husband and I each have a best friend we can count on in times like these.

- My parents should never be allowed to go to a Nascar race again. Last time they went, my grandma Davis passed the week before, and this time G'ma Mc passed the week before. My conclusion? Nascar is the cause of all grief and misery.

I've talked enough for now. Hope no one is offended by my revelations.

No comments:

Post a Comment