Thursday, December 4, 2008

Lost in a sea of blue

OK, so here's the story of my devotion as a daughter/aunt.

My dad came to me and told me that for Christmas he wanted to do something really special for Kylie (my 3 year old niece). He said that she enjoys watching cartoons with Grandpa, and her favorite was Oswald, the big blue octopus. I had no clue what he was talking about, but he said he wanted to find a stuffed Oswald for her to cuddle with while they watch cartoons.

Sounds really sweet right? Well it is, unless you realize that there are no stuffed Octopus' available, anywhere. The only place I found them was on Ebay for the tune of over $200. Not quite the price range my dad had in mind. So I look at him, all disappointed, and my eyes fall on my spanking new sewing machine, then back to Dad, then back to the machine. Awwww, how hard could it be?? Famous last words.

So I set the DVR to tape an episode of Oswald and find my cat's toy jelly fish to use as a pattern. I spent days working out the right way to put it together. Walmart is the only place in town I know of to get fabric, so off I went. I found a nice fleece, a little darker than I wanted, but the lighted blue they had. So anyway, I set about sewing a blue octopus.

All was going well until I realized that while dad had wanted it to be about the size of a basketball, it was fast becoming more the size of a beach ball. It grew and grew as I made it.

I finally finished it today, and I've got to say, I'm pretty proud. While it is obvious that it is homemade, I think you can tell who it is, and that's what'll matter to Kylie. It's also very soft and cuddly.

Here's what he's supposed to look like:


Here's Mine, with a cat in the picture to give you an idea of the size:

No comments:

Post a Comment