Saturday, December 20, 2008

Welcome to my journey as a Taoist...

I would like to start by saying that I do not take calling myself a Taoist lightly. Although I am new to Taoism as a religion, my religious journey began as I was very young. My parents never really took us to church, my mom being Lutheran and my dad being Methodist, but neither really practicing.

We went to bible school in the summers, so I learned all the Christian basics. I spent a week with my grandparents, with my grandmother who is the most devout and true Christian I've ever met to this day. As a teenager, I felt something missing in my life, and my spiritual search began. I went to no fewer than 6 churches in the town where I live. All were full of nice people who welcomed me with open arms.

Unfortunately, for me, the teachings of all these Churches just didn't speak to me. I went to college right after high school where I met a friend who is Celtic Wiccan, she introduced me to it, and I thought I might be on to something. My last year of college, I met my now husband who is a Pagan. This path interested me a great deal, but there was still something missing.

I began researching every major religion I could come across. I read about Buddhism, which also spoke to me, but it still wasn't what I was looking for. I read the Koran, learned about the Jewish faith, and looked into Baha'i, Hinduism and Mormonism. Non of which was the path I was seeking.

Then, I came across Taoism. From the first translation of the Tao Te Ching I read, I was hooked. I could not believe how much sense this book made. Everything fit. I felt as though a light inside me suddenly flickered on and I could see the way at last.
So I began my journey into Taoism, reading everything I could find from the library and on the Internet. I have never looked back since. Even my family said they saw an amazing change in me, a passion they hadn't seen before.

I now officially call myself a Taoist, because every day I try to think about the Tao and how it effects my life. This blog is just a piece of that. There is not an overabundance of Taoist information out there, so I thought I could help anyone who is where I was to find the true Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment