Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Tao takes on Murphy

OK, so I'm guessing you are all familiar with Murphy's Law which states "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

I was raised with this philosophy, as were many of the people I know. It is pretty common to hear people using Murphy's Law as a reason to do or not do something.

Taoist thought often says the exact opposite. You should always believe the best of yourself and others. Keep positive thoughts, always kind and loving even in the face of adversity. Always know that the universe is unfolding as it should, and trust that everything happens for a reason.

Since becoming a Taoist, I have worked very hard to deprogram my Murphy's Law training, and it's been hard. But the more I am able to undo, the happier I am. Now I can look at it, and think, wow, how unhappy is the person who always assumes things will go wrong. Even if they're right, there is something to be said for hope.

To me, it all comes down to the old adage, "whether you think you can or can't, you're right."

It's all about the thoughts, and living in Murphy's Law world, people become jaded and hopeless, which is something I never want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment