Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 2 - Your Favorite Movie

Ah, movies.  Once again, I don't feel it possible to pick just one movie as my favorite.  I like many different movies for many different reasons, so here's my award list of my favorite movies in different categories.

Disney Movie - The Little Mermaid.
I love all of the 90's Disney movies, but for me, The Little Mermaid started it all.  Perhaps this is because it was the first movie that my father took me to, just me and him.  It was a very special treat for me, and the movie will always have a place in my heart because of it.
Honorable Mentions: Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin

Comedy - Princess Bride
Without a doubt, I can watch Princess Bride over and over again.  The best one-liners and funniest quotes come from this beloved flick.  From Andre the Giant to Carey Elwes, the cast is stellar and the delivery INCONCEIVABLY perfect. 
Honorable Mentions:  Easy A, Idiocracy, Mallrats, Accepted, Spaceballs

Political - V for Vendetta
Remember, remember the 5th of November.  A very well done movie with an important political message.  I love Natalie Portman in this one.  (For my husband's sake I must mention that Atlas Shrugged was overlooked because I couldn't get over the bad acting of the main character.)
Honorable Mentions: Braveheart, Wag the Dog, Election

Action - Pirates of the Caribbean
A tough call because I'm not a big action buff, but I love pirates and Johnny Depp, so this was a natural choice.  Gotta say, the most recent one was a bit of a flop for me, but the first will always be a favorite in our house.
Honorable Mentions: The Mummy, Taken, Day After Tomorrow

Fantasy - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
In books this may be tougher, but without a doubt Lord of the Rings trilogy takes the cake for this one.  I am partial to the first one, but love all three and have watched them multiple times.  I am fascinated by elves, entertained by hobbits, amused by dwarves, and allured by rangers :)
Honorable Mentions:  Percy Jackson, Stardust, Interview with a Vampire

Animated - Finding Nemo
I really enjoy the animated movies intended for both adults and youngsters alike.   Many are favorites, but Finding Nemo epitomizes everything I love about this style of movie.  Dory is awesome!
Honorable Mentions:  Sword and the Stone, Toy Story, Monster's Inc, Shrek, The Incredibles

Sci-fi - Galaxy Quest
It may be argued that GQ is a comedy, and it is very funny, but it has all the aspects required to also fit into Sci-fi.  Since I'm not a big Sci-fi movie fan (preferring TV shows of that kind) it made it to the top of the list.
Honorable Mentions: Men in Black, Xmen

Spiritual - What Dreams May Come
I feel this is an often overlooked category, perfect for an often overlooked movie.  I love this movie, the painting scene alone is pure visual splendor.  I always feel something when I watch this movie.
Honorable Mentions: What the Bleep Do We Know, Dogma

Drama - Shawshank Redemption
Wonderfully written and incredibly acted, Morgan Freeman at his best.  This is the first drama movie to really get me.  Thought provoking and riveting.

Musical - Chicago
I love the show because of the strong female roles.  The movie, while creatively cast, had a very different take which I came to appriciate over time.
Honorable Mentions: South Park, Hair Spray

Fairy Tale/Medieval - Ever After
I love versions of fairy tales and this one is from my teenage years meaning fond memories.  I like the grittiness of this take, showing it's still a fairy tale without the fairy godmother and magic intervention.
Honorable Mentions: Ella Enchanted, First Knight

Fun Classic Movie - Love Potion #9
There are so many funny classic campy movies from the 80s and 90s and this one epitomizes them for me.  I have always loved Sandra Bullock in this movie, but the whole idea is a fun magical twist to a romantic comedy.
Honorable Mentions: Freaky Friday, Weird Science, Clue, Breakfast Club

I know there are many I have forgotten, but this is what I came up with while sitting here.  Feel free to chime in some classics that you love.  Some are omitted on purpose, but I may have forgotten some.

No comments:

Post a Comment