Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day 17 - An Art Piece

This is a tough one.  I have many favorite artists, friends and family with amazing work, and some pieces of my own to choose from.  I'm going to settle on the one that has hung in every place I've lived since college.  It was given to me by my then roommate and best friend Kimba.  So it is a print I own, given to me by a friend and originally made by one of my favorite artists.  A good compromise, yes?

Miranda - The Tempest by John William Waterhouse

For any who don't know, this is depicting the opening scene of Shakespeare's play, The Tempest.  The character Miranda sees a shipwreck in the distance, launching the play's plot of love and revenge.  I was in this show in high school, and though I didn't play Miranda, I loved her opening monologue and have since used it several times as an audition piece. 

Common quotes from this show:
"We are such stuff as dreams are made on, rounded with a little sleep."
"Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows."
"The fringed curtains of thine eye advance."
"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."
"O wonder! How many godly creatures are there here!  How beauteous mankind is!  O brave new world that has such people in't!" ~my fav

1 comment:

  1. I love this painting, it's gorgeous. Also, her dress. Reminds me of the blue brocade dress in First Knight that I wanted so badly in high school.

    ReplyDelete